Jusoor and Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
The Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) is a public university located in the city of Barcelona in Catalonia, Spain. UAB ranks second in Spain and is among the 100 best European universities. It is known for its high quality research and teaching. They offer over 36 graduate programs taught entirely in English.
The Fundació Autònoma Solidaria (FAS) is an NGO affiliated with the university that aims to promote social change. One of their programs is to engage refugee and asylum seeking youth in education. Jusoor has established a partnership with FAS and UAB to support up to two Syrian students to study at UAB.
Jusoor is proud to be partners with UAB and FAS since 2021 to support Syrian scholars. The Jusoor-UAB Scholarship will support up to two master’s level awards for Syrian students who wish to pursue their studies at UAB. The scholarship will be to study a one-year master’s degree for the 2023-2024 academic year. The amount will cover tuition fees, living expenses, health insurance and travel costs.
The Jusoor - UAB Scholarship will be open for both men and women, applicants should demonstrate financial need and be living either in Syria or a surrounding host country (i.e. Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq or Egypt).
Eligible degrees are listed below and you can read more about them here:
- Advanced English Studies
- Advanced Genetics
- Advanced Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Applied Research in Economics and Business
- Economics and Business Administration
- High Energy Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Industrial Chemistry and Introduction to Chemical Research
- Internet of Things for e-Health
- Modeling for Science and Engineering
- Political Science
- Zoonoses and One Health
- meet the academic requirements of UAB; it is their responsibility to determine whether they do by visiting the respective program pages.
- be Syrian, Palestinian-Syrian or have a Syrian Travel Document
- have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- not already have a master’s degree
- demonstrate at least C1 English Language Proficiency according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages (exceptions might be made for a B2 level)
- Provide an IELTS/ TOEFL exam certificate if they have one
- have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience
- demonstrate willingness and intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria
- be willing to engage with the Jusoor and FAS communities
- be living in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt or Iraq.
Candidates must demonstrate at least C1 English Language Proficiency according to the European Framework of Reference for Languages. Please refer to this chart for your self-assessment: https://rm.coe.int/CoERMPublicCommonSearchServices/DisplayDCTMContent?documentId=090000168045bb52
Details at a glanceSpainArts and humanities, Business Administration, Engineering, Manufacturing and Construction, Health and WelfareUntil 12/02/2023Master'sFull scholarship for the full period of studies1There is no age limit0.00 USDIn-person programme delivery
RequirementsTargeted nationalitiesSyriaTargeted Country of AsylumEgypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, TurkeyAccepted status documentationNot requiredLanguage of InstructionEnglishLanguage Proficiency LevelC1Which certificate do you require to prove the required language proficiency?TOEFL, IELTS
More details about this opportunity
Opportunity timingRecurring annual opportunity
Duration of support provided1 year
What is covered in this programApplication feesTuitionBooksLanguage trainingMonthly stipend (e.g. food allowance)HousingLocal transportation expensesHealth insuranceTravel costs to the third countryVisaSettling in
Type(s) of visa/residency permit granted upon arrivalStudent visa
Is the student allowed to work while studying?Not applicable/Not specified
Can the nuclear family accompany or join the main applicant?No
Who is responsible for the cost of the family members?The student
Are there options to stay after graduation?Work permit/temporary residency
How to apply?
Apply here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuAQKFd5GpQP9XSLRbXks2bdxhEy-z3VFnFzNwfWuak80kWQ/viewform
Application periodSpecific date (annual opportunity)
Opportunity annual timingDecember
Release of the selection decisionApril 2023
For further questions contact the scholarship provider
The content presented on this site has originated from the third party providers. UNHCR is not responsible for the application process or oversight of the opportunities presented here. Questions on a particular opportunity should be directed to the relevant provider.